Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Subjective Critique

My subjective critique of Pablo Picasso's "Summer Village Landscape" is fairly negative for a variety of reasons. This piece, at first glance, has a somewhat limited variance in color. The landscape, vegetation, and buildings in this scene blend together with no clear boundaries due to a lack of varying chroma. I am also not enticed by the lack of perspective that Picasso used in this piece, which results in a very flat composition with no relative use of proportion or scale. I think this is a critical failure of the work, which could be quite impressive if changed. Picasso also used implied shapes in this composition, letting the buildings merge into the landscape behind them. This is my chief complaint with the composition as it prevents any possibility of unity or balance. To give this piece a more naturalistic look, I would start off by adding perspective to the piece, allowing there to be a defined depth between objects. I would also do away with the implied shapes and work with building a unity in the composition. I also feel the limited color palette severely hurts the composition and would look at adding more pigmentation here. I want to keep the same feeling Picasso's piece invokes of a beautiful, European landscape so I will be looking to expand upon the colors used already in the composition. Last, I might alter the size of some of the building structures to better play on the rule of thirds in this composition.

2 comments: